ISO 9000:2000 A tool for Customer Satisfaction
ISO 9000:2000 is a series of standards developed by (ISO) International Organization for standardization consisting of five (5) main quality standards:
ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management Systems-Fundamentals and Vocabulary
ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management Systems -Requirements
ISO 9004:2000 Quality Management Systems -Guidelines for Performance Improvements
ISO 10005 Quality Management -Guidelines for Quality Plans
ISO 19011 Guidelines for Auditing Quality/or Environmental Management System Auditing
Although often referred to as quality standards, these are Quality Management System tools that describe the critical ingredients to ensure customers are provided quality products and services.
The ISO 9001:2000 standard has 8 system elements describing the minimum requirements of sound business practice. Examples of ISO 9001:2000 requirements include:
- Customer complaint resolution
- Formal design reviews
- Testing of all deliverables
- Reviews of requirements before accepting contracts
- Regular audits to verify compliance and the effectiveness of procedures
The purpose of ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management System Standards is to provide customers with confidence that suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, and vendors have documented, effective and independently verified Quality Management Systems.
Companies show customers that the service they provide is efficient and that all the processes in their Quality Management System are:
- Fit for purpose
- What the customer wants
- Represents a way of sharing best practices
- Promoting transparency and effectiveness
- Avoid the risk that innovative processes and changes confined to selected people and get lost when these people leave the organization
THE NEW ISO 9000:2000 SERIES COMPRISES THESE MAIN STANDARDS:
- ISO 9000 Quality Management Systems – Fundamentals and vocabulary.
- ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems – Requirements.
- ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems – Guidelines for performance improvement.
System Elements ISO 9000:2000
- 1] SCOPE
- 2] NORMATIVE REFERENCE
- 3] TERMS & DEFINITIONS
- 4] QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- 5] MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- 6] RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- 7] PRODUCT REALIZATION
- 8] MEASUREMENT ANALYSIS & IMPROVEMENT
Key Revisions to ISO
Management – Showing commitment to development and improvement of the quality system.
Responsibility – More customer focused.
Resource Responsibility – Competency of staff, training, facilities, work environment.
Product Realisation – Process oriented approach to defining the business operations all parts of ISO
Measurement Analysis – Includes need to monitor customer satisfaction-define methodology. Includes audits. Improvement Analysis of data, nonconformity. corrective action and preventative action.