Construction Project benchmark studies show the benefits of up to 30 percent reduced cost and shorter project execution times when FEED studies are performed.
- FEED studies helps establish a well-defined scope, budget, schedule, and identifies risks, resulting in greater success during implementation, start-up, and beyond. By undertaking FEED at the beginning of your project, you can minimize your overall project risks.
The FEED studies normally completed by:
- An independent Engineering Consulting Company Who represents the owners, stake holders and investors
- Parts of the FEED Document is sent to the customers approved suppliers list of construction Contractors as an Enquiry For Tender
- The owners project consultants evaluates the approved suppliers Technical Tender through a Formal Tender evaluation process
1) The FEED contributes to the improvement of the life cycle of construction Project. It is efficient in resolving problems associated with successful performance of projects
2) Construction projects which are naturally accompanied by uncertainty and unpredictability due to human or environmental interferences can be better controlled and managed by a comprehensive (FEED)
3) FEED project resolves the issues of selection inadequate scope definition, risk mitigation and identifies roles and responsibilities
4) The FEED maximizes the probability of project success and can be preferred over the traditional approach of construction project planning.
Construction Projects : Front-End Engineering Design (FEED)
This is an engineering design approach used to control project costs and thoroughly plan a project:
As follows a list of Project Deliverables that might be developed in the FEED and EPC stages of a project:
1 Engineering & Management
- Design Bases design data,,Piping Flow Diagrams,,P&IDs,,Line Tabulation Schedules,,Equipment Indexes ,,Plot PlansMaterial Selection-diagrams ,,Equipment Numbering procedure
- Project Design plan instrument specifications,,Civil Structural Drgs,,Electrical data,,Mechanical Data,,process data,,Vendor Drgs
- EPC Master Schedule
- IT Procedure
- Correspondence Procedure
- Review and approval procedure
- Handover Document Procedure
- Master Document List
- Vendor Document List
- Project Controls
- 30% 50% 90% Design Reviews
- Constructabilty Reviews
- HSE Health Safety & Environmental Management
- Safety Design Eng Manual
- HSE Management Plan
- HASOP Study Report
- Fire Protection System Specification
- Fire and Gas Control System Specification
- Engineering Form Sheet
- Progress reporting Procedure
- Schedule Control Procedure
- Progress Calculation Procedure
- Invoicing Procedure
Procurement (EPC Status)
- Suppliers approval Status,,
- ISO 9001 Certificates
- Procurement Plan
- Suppliers Inspection & Test Plans
- Suppliers Erection Manual
- Suppliers Preventive Maintenance procedure
- Variation Procedure
- Project Coordination Procedure
- procedure for Engineering Change
- Project Coordination Procedure
- Quality Management,,Inspection and Testing.
Project Management Plan for Home Office
Project Organization Plan
Project Work Demarcation Plan
- Pre Commisioning
- Project Turnover
- Project & Equipment Warranties
Front-End Engineering Design (FEED), Benefits
- The global construction projects have the following outcomes:
1) Reduction in Contractual Disputes:
Front-end planning has alleviated the problem of contractual disputes by obtaining clear objectives and definition.
2) Lower design changes:
Front-end planning ensures clear procedures for managing and controlling changes to any part of the project will ensure that any changes necessary will have minimal impact on a project.
3) Proper material supply:
Material shortages are met with contingency plans defined by front-end planning.
4) Project Tendering
Selection of appropriate:
Project instruction and sub contractors are selected based on formal bidding process which eliminates problems related to incompetent contractors. Front-end planning focuses on selection of suitable tender method.
5) Ease in financial management:
Inadequate funding may lead to delay or stoppage of project. This problem is solved by implementing front-end planning in a project.
6) Proper labour supply:
- Effective training,
- recruitment and transportation are initiated in front-end planning that resolves problem associated with availability of manpower
7) Reduced poor weather transport problems:
Severe weather conditions are taken into account in the contingency plans of front-end planning.
8) Improved operational performance
Reduced the probability of project failures evaluation of risk
9) Better achievement of business goals
fewer scope changes.
10) Increased predictability
Cost, schedule as well as better risk management.
11) Ensuring HSE,,Health Safety & Environment
risk assessment are built into the project and are fully implemented
12) Codes & Standards:
Ensuring that international Codes and standards are identified and incorporated into the Projects Quality Management systems
- ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- Project Plans, Inspection & Test Plans
- QA/QC Procedures